These moist and delicious coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream are a definite indulgence for coffee lovers. And they are ridiculously easy to make that you just want to keep baking them.
Coffee cupcakes for coffee lovers
Yup. That’s the promise of this coffee cupcakes recipe.
And I guess you are one of those coffee lovers. That’s why you are here checking this recipe.
Well, I myself am a coffee-loving gal. Though my top requirement is that it has to be 100% Arabica coffee. And starting my day with a cup of coffee is a must. Else, I won’t be able to go through my day in content.
This love of coffee is what makes this cupcake recipe.
Because most, if not all, similar recipes will be using coffee extract or fancy ingredients that I may not always have them ready in my kitchen.
After having a few attempts, I am happy and settled with this coffee cupcakes recipe.
The cupcakes are moist and fluffy, with enough coffee flavor. And the buttercream takes the cupcake to another level of deliciousness.
And if you fancy enjoying these sweeties with more coffee flavor, try having them with a glass of this coffee soda by Hilda’s Kitchen Blog. Promise, you’ll be coffee-ey all day.
Just like most recipes that I share, this coffee cupcake uses easy and simple ingredients as well. Most of the items are a regular staple in most kitchens.
So for the cupcakes you will need instant coffee granules, caster sugar, all-purpose flour, margarine/ baking spread, eggs, and baking powder.
As for the buttercream, you need powdered icing sugar, butter, instant coffee granules, and hot water.
A little note here, you can use espresso powder or instant espresso instead of instant coffee granules.
And if you prefer, you can use salted butter instead of margarine. The only difference is that butter gives a slightly dense texture to the cupcakes. And in a cold temperatured weather, the butter makes the cupcakes a little bit harder.
While margarine or baking spread creates a soft and fluffy texture to the cakes. And regardless of the room temperature, it keeps your cupcakes to stay moist and soft.
How to make the best coffee cupcakes
The method of making these cupcakes is pretty simple and easy.
Firstly, you prepare the cupcake tin and line it with cupcake cases. Then preheat the oven to 180℃/ 356℉ or gas mark 4
Then, dissolve the coffee granules in the eggs. You can use either a fork, a hand whisk, a wooden spoon, or a hand mixer to mix.
When coffee granules have dissolved, add the flour, margarine or baking spread, and baking powder. Use a handheld or a stand mixer to beat the ingredients together until you get a nice and smooth mixture.
Scoop the batter into cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. And when you press the cake, it will bounce back nicely.
Leave the cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack.
Next, make the buttercream by dissolving coffee granules in a teaspoon of hot water. Let it cool while you get on with the other ingredients.
Place the butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Once the melted coffee has cooled down, add it to the bowl. And start beating them using a handheld or a stand mixer until you get a fluffy buttercream.
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them with the buttercream.
Tips for delicious coffee cupcakes
- Make sure your instant coffee granules or instant espresso are fresh and not stale. So they will dissolve well.
- Leave the dissolved coffee for the buttercream to cool to room temperature before adding it to the buttercream mixture.
The good news is that you can freeze your coffee cupcakes. They keep well for up to 6 weeks.
And they last for about a week at room temperature. Just make sure you store them in a tightly-lidded food/ cake container.
If you want to, you can keep the cupcakes in the refrigerator. Though I don’t really do it because the cupcakes go hard in cold temperatures.
More cupcake recipes
Thank you for checking this coffee cupcakes recipe out. Please try it out and share what you think about it in the comments below. I really appreciate it.
Don’t forget to take a look at other cupcake recipes that you may like.
Take care and all the best.
Coffee cupcake recipe
- Mixing bowls.
- Wooden spoon
- Handheld mixer
- Cupcake tin
- Cupcake cases
For the cupcakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams of baking spread or margarine
- 120 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams of all-purpose flour/ plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For the frosting
- 50 grams of salted butter softened.
- 100 grams of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
For the cupcakes
- Place the eggs and 1 ½ teaspoons of instant coffee granules in a mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, a hand whisk, or a fork, lightly beat them until the coffee granules melt in the egg.
- Add the caster sugar to the egg mixture and stir again.
- Then add the baking spread (or margarine), flour, and baking powder into the egg mix. Using a handheld mixer, or a stand mixer, whisk it until you get a smooth batter.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/ 356℉ or gas mark 4
- Prepare the muffin/ cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Scoop the batter into each case and bake in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes are springy to the touch.
- Put the cupcakes on a cooling wire rack and let them cool to room temperature before frosting them with coffee buttercream.
For the buttercream
- Mix 1 teaspoon of instant coffee granules with 1 teaspoon of hot water in a small mixing bowl.
- Stir well until all the granules have dissolved. Let it cool.
- Place the butter, icing sugar, and coffee mixture in a mixing bowl. Using a handheld, or a stand mixer, beat them and mix them until you get light and fluffy buttercream.
Check the temperature of the melted coffee mixture before adding it to the butter and sugar. Make sure it has completely cooled down. Else, the butter will melt or go too soft.
Nutritional info in this recipe is only estimate using online calculator. You should refer to it as a guide only. Please verify with your own data if you seek an accurate info.