Puff Pastry Nutella Rolls
These puff pastry nutella rolls were created out of coincidence. As it happened, I had a pack of ready-made puff pastry lying in my refrigerator and it was just on the last day of its expiry date.
Inspired by pan au chocolate and cinnamon rolls, I thought, why don’t I spread some chocolate on this pastry and roll it instead? So that is what happened.
I spread the hazelnut chocolate on the rolled-out pastry, rolled it back into a big log, and cut it into slices like cinnamon rolls.
In 15 minutes, I got a buttery, flaky pastry with a nutty chocolatey filling. Perfect.
Before I go on, please know I do not endorse using Nutella. However, I used this brand for this recipe because that was what I had in my pantry when I made it. But you can always use any brand of hazelnut chocolate spread. You can even use the chocolate-only spread if you have a nut allergy.
The best part about this sweet chocolate puff pastry is that it only requires a few ingredients. All you need is puff pastry and hazelnut chocolate spread. If you want to add, you can use egg wash to give the pastry a shiny golden brown color. But your pastries will stay delicious even if you don’t use the eggwash.
Overall, puff pastry Nutella is a delicious and easy dessert for any occasion. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy dessert to make for your family or a show-stopping dessert to impress your guests, these puff pastries are sure to be a hit.
If you’re like me and love making things with puff pastry, try this puff pastry cheese straws. It’s another easy recipe to make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a dessert lover, I can confidently say that this puff pastry Nutella recipe is one of the best out there. The combination of flaky, buttery pastry and sweet chocolate hazelnut spread is irresistible. Here are a few reasons why I think you’ll love this recipe, too:
- Easy To Make: Using store-bought puff pastry means you don’t have to worry about making the pastry from scratch. But, if you want to go the extra mile by making your own pastry, surely you can. Check this easy puff pastry recipe if you need it.
- Perfect for Any Occasion: Whether you’re having a party or want a sweet treat, these chocolate pastry rolls are perfect for any occasion. They’re great for serving as a dessert or snack and will impress your guests.
- Rich Chocolatey Flavor: You won’t be able to resist this rich and irresistible chocolatey flavor. Chocolate and hazelnut is a classic pairing that never gets old.
- Light and Flaky Texture: The light and flaky texture of the puff pastry perfectly complements the rich chocolatey flavor of the Nutella. The pastry puffs up beautifully in the oven, creating a light, airy, delicious texture.
Ingredients You Need
- Store-bought ready-rolled puff pastry or store-bought puff pastry block.
- Hazelnut chocolate spread or any chocolate spread you like.
- Egg for the eggwash (optional).
How To Make Puff Pastry Nutella Rolls
Roll out the puff pastry if it is not rolled out yet. Aim to roll a rectangle shape of 14” x 9” size at around 0.3 inches in thickness.
Spoon your chocolate jam and spread it on the pastry, leaving half an inch at one end.
Carefully roll the pastry into one big log. Press gently as you roll to ensure the pastry sticks together.
Using a sharp knife, slice the rolled pastry at around 1-inch thickness and arrange the slices on a lined baking tray.
Lightly beat the egg with a tablespoon of water and use it as eggwash on each pastry roll. You can opt out of this step and bake the pastries without eggwash.
Bake the pastries in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) or gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Top Tips To Make The Pastries Even More Interesting
- Add chopped hazelnuts to the Nutella filling to make this recipe even more interesting. You can substitute Nutella with other spreads, such as peanut butter or chocolate-only jam.
- A sharp knife or a pizza cutter is essential to ensure the pastry slices are even and neat.
Puff pastry Nutella is a versatile dish that can be served for breakfast, as a snack, or as an easy dessert.
The crispy, buttery layers of puff pastry combined with the chocolatey goodness of Nutella are good to enjoy as they are. But you can always serve them with a squeeze of fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Storage and Reheating
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. These Nutella puff pastry rolls can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To reheat the Nutella puff pastry twists, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes or until they are heated through and crispy. Alternatively, you can reheat them in an air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 350°F/ 175°C, but be careful not to overheat them as this can cause the pastry to burn.
FAQ: Can I freeze the Nutella puff pastry twists?
You can freeze the Nutella puff pastry twists for up to one month. To freeze, place them in an airtight container or a freezer bag and store them in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them in the oven or microwave as described above.
Easy Puff Pastry Nutella Recipe
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knife
- Baking sheet
- Store-bought puff pastry sheets
- Nutella or any chocolate spread
- 1 egg for egg wash. Optional
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to the package instructions. Ensure that it is at room temperature before using it.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread Nutella or your preferred chocolate over the puff pastry sheet, leaving about 0.5 inches of space from the edges.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet tightly from one end to the other, ensuring the Nutella is enclosed inside the pastry.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to slice the pastry roll into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Place the pastry pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the pastry pieces with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and flaky.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- You can use store-bought ready-rolled puff pastry or store-bought puff pastry block. You can also make your own pastry if that’s what you prefer. Check this easy puff pastry recipe that you can refer to.
- Use any hazelnut chocolate spread that you like. You can use a chocolate-only spread without hazelnuts if you have a nut allergy.
Nutritional info in this recipe is only estimate using online calculator. You should refer to it as a guide only. Please verify with your own data if you seek an accurate info.