Why Is It Called Snickerdoodles?
Snickerdoodles are classic American cookies with a texture between cake and cookies.
They are soft but firm enough to bite. They are light with a flavourful cinnamon coating. But most of all, they are deliciously moreish.
The name of snickerdoodle itself is derived from the German word schneckennudeln, which means snail noodle. Or, you can translate it as a snail dumpling. So basically, it refers to a sweet little bun that looks like a snail.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our disclosure policy.
So, this cookie was introduced by the Germans who arrived in America sometime in the 1800s. And like any food, it gets introduced to a wider range of people over time. And now become one of the American favorites.
Can We Make Snickerdoodles Without Cream Of Tartar?
Many Snickerdoodle recipes use cream of tartar as their raising agent, which is also an added flavor to the cookies because cream of tartar gives a slight tanginess to the cookies.
However, in my opinion, that tanginess is not really necessary. In fact, the cookies taste way better without it.
Also, admittedly, I don’t always have the cream of tartar ready in my pantry. So, when I bake these German infusion snail dumpling cookies, I find it a hassle if I have to get cream of tartar just for the recipe and leave the remaining to waste because I don’t really cook or bake things with cream of tartar.
After tweaking and testing the recipe, I can say, yes, we can make snickerdoodles without cream of tartar. And I am happy with how the cookies turned out.
It does not have tanginess at all, which I prefer, and it tastes ever so nice that I can’t stop having it.
So, if you are in the same boat as me, feeling like having snickerdoodle cookies but do not have the cream of tartar, go on and give this recipe a try and see how you like it.
Ingredients For Snickerdoodles
You only need six items to make these cookies. And they are pretty much ordinary ingredients in our pantry.
All-purpose flour, salted butter, baking powder, caster sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and cinnamon powder are what you need.
As for butter, you may wonder why I use salted butter. Because a bit of saltiness in the butter enhances the flavor of your baked goods, and I always do this.
I either add a little salt or use salted butter. For this cookie recipe, I use salted butter.
I suppose all other items are self-explanatory.
- Mixing bowl.
- Wooden spoon.
- Flour sifter.
- Baking tray.
- Greaseproof paper/ parchment paper.
- Cooling rack.
How To Make Them
It does not take a lot to make snickerdoodle cookie dough. You only have to prepare the wet and dry ingredients separately, then mix them two until they turn into a dough.
So, sieve and mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Then, you beat the butter and sugar in another bowl until pale and light in color. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter and stir until all is combined.
Now, fold the flour into the butter mixture and mix well until you get a soft dough.
Mix the caster sugar and cinnamon powder in a shallow bowl or a plate.
Lastly, divide and shape the dough into small balls. I do mine at the size of cherry tomatoes. And roll the dough balls on the cinnamon sugar mixture until fully coated. Then, place the dough balls onto a lined baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes at the gas mark 4/180℃/ 356℉.
Once the cookies are baked, leave them on the baking tray for a few minutes before you transfer them onto a cooling rack.
How Long Can We Keep Them?
Your snickerdoodles keep well in a tight lid cookie jar for 2 weeks. Although mine never lasts more than a few days.
Now that the festive holidays are around the corner, this snickerdoodle recipe without cream of tartar can be one of your choices for your holiday cookies. Make them in batches and store them in a jar as holiday gifts
More Ideas For Cookie Recipes
Thank you for checking this Snickerdoodles recipe without cream of tartar. I hope you give it a go. When you do, please share what you think about the recipe in the comments below. I really appreciate it.
Before you go, don’t forget to check my other cookie recipes that you may like.
- Kue Putri Salju – Snow White Butter Cookies
- Chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil.
- White Chocolate And Cranberry Cookies.
- Soft And Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Take care and all the best.
Snickerdoodles Recipe Without Cream Of Tartar
- Handheld mixer
- Mixing bowls.
- Wooden spoon
- Parchment paper
- Baking trays
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour/ plain flour.
- ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- 4.4 ounces salted butter at room temperature.
- ½ cup caster sugar.
- 1 large egg lightly beaten.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/ 356℉ at gas mark 4.
- Line a few baking sheets with parchment paper/ greaseproof paper.
- Mix 2 tablespoons/ 25 gr caster sugar with the cinnamon powder in a shallow bowl or a plate. Set aside.
- Mix all-purpose flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and light in color. You can use a hand whisk, a wooden spoon, or a handheld mixer.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture.
- Then fold in the flour mixture and stir well until all is combined, and you get a smooth mixture.
- Take a small size of dough and shape it into a small ball. Mine is about a 1-inch diameter-sized ball.
- Roll the dough ball onto the cinnamon-sugar mixture until it is fully covered with the sugar spice mix.
- Place the ball onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat until the dough is finished. Make sure you leave enough space between the dough balls,
- Bake the cookie dough balls for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave them on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack.
- If you want to bake the cookie dough later, you can make it and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours. When you are ready to bake, you can take it out of the refrigerator, shape it into small balls and roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Nutritional info in this recipe is only estimate using online calculator. You should refer to it as a guide only. Please verify with your own data if you seek an accurate info.